Certified as a Family Law Specialist by the State Bar of California, Attorney Elyse B. Butler, CFLS has established herself as a force to be reckoned with.
Ms. Butler is a distinguished lawyer based in San Diego, California. She is Certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization in Family Law; an accomplishment only approximately 5% of attorneys earn. She is also Verified by the Lead Counsel Review Board. As the founder of Butler Law, her client-focused approach to everything from property division to child custody and visitation has earned her recognition from Super Lawyers Magazine, the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, and the National Advocates. She has had the pleasure of representing NFL players, Grammy nominated musicians, and international CEOs.
In addition to her training and detailed knowledge of California law, Ms. Butler attributes her success over the years to her in-depth understanding of family dynamics and the long-term consequences of legal actions on family members. She recognizes both the emotional and the financial challenges that arise in difficult family matters, and as such works hard to achieve solutions that both meet individual goals and preserve relationships. Complex cases with international assets or child relocation (move-away) matters to countries outside the United States are those that truly remind her of why she practices family law.
To continue providing her clients with industry-leading service, she keeps her eye on prevailing trends within family law. She is passionate about providing families with much-needed assistance in finding peaceful solutions that maintain familial relationships as best as possible. Through compassionate, client-focused representation, along with creative legal strategies including collaborative divorce or mediation when appropriate, Ms. Butler does everything in her power to provide clients with resolutions that promise a bright future. However, for issues that cannot be settled, she is thoroughly skilled and versed in complex family law trials.
Ms. Butler earned her B.A. summa cum laude from Arizona State University. She went on to receive her Juris Doctor at California Western School of Law where she volunteered at the Domestic Violence Restraining Order Clinic and the Family Law Facilitator's Office. She also spent time clerking for the Honorable Robert C. Coates (ret.), further developing both her writing and legal skills by assisting in the legal research and drafting of Ending Chronic Homelessness in America's Major Cities: The Justice System Component (University of San Francisco Law Review, Fall 2007, Vol. 42.).
Certified Legal Specialties
- Family Law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, 2014
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Recipient
- Lead Counsel Rated and Verified, California, Thomson Reuters
- “10 Best” Attorneys – Under 40, California, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- “10 Best” in Client Satisfaction, California, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- Expert Network Distinguished Lawyer, Recipient
- Finance Monthly Magazine Legal Awards, Recipient
- Who's Who, Recipient
- Top 10 Family Law Attorney, Best of the Best Attorneys
- America's Most Honored Professionals – Top 10%, the American Registry
- Women of the Year, San Diego Magazine, Nominee
- Top 10 Family Law Attorney, Attorney and Practice Magazine
- Top 100 Lawyer, the National Advocates
- Client Distinction Award, Lawyers.com and Martindale.com
- Noticed, Recipient
- Lawyers of Distinction, Distinguished Member Recipient
- Women in Law Awards, Lawyer Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- San Diego County Bar Association, LRIS Referral Member (Family Law)
- San Diego Family Law Bar Association, Member
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists, Member
- California Lawyers Association, Family Law Section
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Journalism and Mass Communication specializing in Media Analysis and Criticism from the college of Public Programs